6.04.2008

Holy cats!

People! Micky Dolenz was the voice of Arthur in the first season of The (animated) Tick! He also claims to be the current voice of the Snuggles bear. I have no cause to doubt him.
SeƱor Llama did a--uhh, what's that word for teaching?--pedagogy post or two, so I feel like I should chip in, but the catch is that Joe's students want very much, as paying clients, to learn, and my students very much do not. I'm getting better at algebra; their gains are less apparent. I even did guitar lessons for a couple guys as an incentive a few months ago, but they weren't interested in learning; they wanted to be able to play or, failing that, dick around. So after a few lessons and still no E chord retention (and then the other teacher's aide getting injured and us being down a staffperson) the lessons petered out. It's not all bad news though: I've gotten a lot better at basketball. I can beat some high school students, some of the time!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Eric said...

It's easy to beat high school students at basketball when you're the one controlling the clock and score board.

Good to hear you're getting better at algebra, can I send you some problems I've been working on?

Joe Streckert said...

Sometimes when I''m teaching I think "Haha! You're the students, but I'm learning more than you! I win, bitches!" But I've heard that's a pretty common experience.

Shame them into learning by making them feel inferior. If they're really aware of their profound and vacuous ignorance, then they'll scramble to correct it. As soon as the crying starts, the learning begins. That'll work for you.