4.08.2008

My new favorite thing

I stuck around to watch the basketball team of the pseudo-highschool I work at play a month ago, and got roped into running the clock, and it turns out it's really fun. There are two officials, who I assume are paid, and are really good, and a scorekeeper, and then I kept track of the clock, score, and team fouls. So there was another game today, and I stuck around to support my students, ostensibly, but I was really in it for the clock operatin'. I find it oddly satisfying; it's sorta like a videogame. Our team lost, but I got my fix. I tried to find out how one becomes a professional clock operator/time keeper, but all I found was that in 1989 the Atlanta Hawks clock guy made $25 a game, so apparently I can hope for about 15 hours of minimum wage a week if I reach the highest level of the profession; maybe they unionized in the last 20 years. I think I'll send my resume to the Hawks anyway; Science knows I couldn't do a worse job.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Sydney said...

So let's see here, let's take a look at the Pete's Perfect Job Round-Up:
- Sports Time Keeper
- Copy Editor
- Sand Counter
Yep, what you're really looking for is the career "Professional Pedant." Maybe you could invent and patent a way to make normal jobs more pedantic. We could be millionaires!

Eric said...

Pete - have you thought about being the Quality Control guy at a beer factory? You'd be great at it! Just don't let the drunks distract you from your work.

Joe Streckert said...

(Insert your own joke about having a geography degree here.)